Thursday, October 6, 2011

Osman Hamdi Bey


Osman Hamdi Bey (1842-1910)

  I have always liked his style and paintings. He has such a unique style which everyone can like. Therefore, I would like to share a few things about him and his paintings which I like a lot.

There are lots of things to tell about him but I just want to share a few things about him.

Here is the self-portrait of him.

He was a painter, archeologist, statesman and museum director.

He was always creative, productive and intellectual in his life.  He did lots of things, such as founding the School of Fine Arts (Sanayi-i Nefise Mektebi), and he helped to establish Turkey's law of Conservation of Antiquities.




"The Tortoise Trainer" by Osman Hamdi Bey, Pera Museum, İstanbul 

 
This is the painting I tried to paint and finished it in 2 months.  I worked on it really hard!

I love orientalist style and I've always loved this painting! 

So I wanted to paint something for my dad and showed him a few paintings - he picked the one you see now! 

When I finished it, he loved it a lot and now it's in our living room in Turkey!

If you want to learn more about how I painted it, click on this link: http://gunesyilmaz.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-did-i-paint-osman-hamdi-painting.html

 This is called "Kaplumbağa Terbiyecisi," which means The Tortoise Trainer

Osman Hamdi Bey painted it in 1906 and 1907, so there are actually two versions.  In 2004, one was sold for $3.5M.








Here are some of his other paintings that I really enjoy, and would like to paint someday.

"Şehzade Türbesi’nde Derviş" 1908 



 
Look at the details, Aren't they awesome?

"Silah Taciri"
"Türbe Kapısı Önünde Üç Sakallı Adam"

"Harem"

No comments:

Post a Comment