Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Am I lucky?


  
    I have been thinking about ‘luck’ and I’m asking to myself what is luck and who is lucky? Are there really lucky people in the world? Can I consider myself ‘lucky’ or ‘unlucky’? Which one is better for me? 

     You might be hardworking, you want to be successful and then you achieve something which might be small or big but very important to you. Then people call you ‘lucky’ because of your achievement. I’m sorry! Am I lucky? Do you know that I have been working hard! Do you know my back is hurting, because of working for a long time??? 

     You get angry but at the same time you don’t care because you are happy for your success.  But at the same time you might start thinking, “Am I lucky? Is that why it has happened to me?”  You get confused. Then you start searching what luck means because you really want to know if you are lucky or not.  Soon you find out: it’s something  good that happens to you by chance or through the hand of providence. It is not because of your skill but it is almost as if your actions were guided from above. 

      For example, in the middle of the night you can’t sleep. You go out for a walk then earthquake happens. Your apartment collapses but you are alive. It means you are lucky because it was completely random. It was out of your control. 

      But working everyday for 10 hours a day to make sure you get the job done and getting a promotion because of that doesn’t make you lucky. 

      It angers me when people confused the two.  To call someone’s hard work “luck” diminishes that person’s achievement.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gunes. I am a first time visitor. I love your art. I do watercolors so I'm always one to stop and gawk at others art. I love the use of colors. So vibrant and alive. Anyway, great blog and I love your cleverness with questions and thought. Kind of an Art style with words. So here's my piece on luck.
    As far as luck goes, I like the quote by Thomas Jefferson, “I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.”
    And then there's this one, too from Dr. Suess: “Just tell yourself, Duckie, you're really quite lucky!”
    So there you go.
    I write a blog on food but with my musings on life and human relationships. Please visit. Maybe follow if you like the content. That would be cool.
    And a Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mario, Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm very glad you like my art.

    I like you definition about luck. I wanna tell my self I'm quite lucky! this is the best. I will definitely visit your blog.

    Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete